How To Make Old Flat Shoes Look New

If you have old shoes, that look no good anymore, you can easily make them look like newly store bought! Here's how... 

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new

I had these shoes for about 7-8 years. After I saw them on another girls feet, I totally fell in love with them, I absolutely needed them as my first shoes that weren't sneakers.
And I was lucky! After driving to three different Deichmann stores, I found them in my size and I was not disappointed. They are very comfortable and suit perfectly for dresses, skirts, every cute outfit and so on...

But all those years left signs. The fabric didn't get really white again when washed and the buckle connection started to break down.

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new
See how that buckle connection almost fell off? 

They still are one of my most loved shoes, so I couldn't throw them away. Also I thought, hey, this should be easy to fix?! And yes, it was.


Materials needed

  • Black fabric paint and a brush
  • Black marker pen
  • Needle, thread, scissors
  • Fabric glue
  • Black hook and loop tape



How to to make old flat shoes look new

After cleaning them, I first cut off the buckle connection.

There was a tiny rip at the front of one shoe which I sewed together.

Then I painted all fabric black. Had to do this step twice after letting it dry, so that the white didn't show through anymore.

With a marker I painted the rivets and the white plastic strip between fabric and sole black.

I cut out fitting pieces of black hook and loop tape and glued them on. To help them stay I made three little stitches at the corners.

Last step was to fix colour and glue. It says you need to iron it for severall (4-5) minutes at high temperature (140°C) on the left side. Well, obviously, I can't iron this, especially not on the left side.
So I took my hairdryer instead, which does approx. 80-100°C and doubled the time (10 minutes) to achieve enough fixation. Seems like colour and glue stays where it should be.

All this took me about 2 hours without the waiting time to let the paint dry.

That's it!

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new



Photobomb:
May I present to you.... ELLI (Eleonore) the curiousity herself with always a little bit of slobber on her chin.

DIY repair fix old worn out broken old flat shoes make them look new

Do you alter old, wornout shoes or just throw them away?
Do you like the look before or after?


Comments